Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Port Removal Completed

So, yeah. They didn't put me out. Which was not as bad as I thought it would be. I had the ear plugs and the head phones (great big ones from Skull Candy that I borrowed from Nik. Thanks Nik!!) and that worked pretty good. Here's how it went down:

My mom and I got to the hospital a little after 8:30 and were checked in right away. I expected lots of fuss and tests and what-not, but they just took my blood pressure and pricked my finger. Then they said to change from the waist up (I kept my jeans on the whole time) and then took me down for the procedure. Mom got to wait for me in the room and read my book.

I was in the same room as when I had it put in, so, you know, that was all nostalgic :). Everyone was really awesome. They were funny, and made me feel very, ok, with what was going on. I got to stay in my bed and they gave me a warm blanket (seriously the best thing about this whole thing, all the warm blankets). After they got me all swabbed and draped, I put my head phones on and tried not to listen.

The shots they gave me to numb the area were horrible!! Three of them and they all hurt so much! But that didn't last long, and after they took effect I didn't feel a thing. Only tugging and scraping. Tug, tug, tug, scrape, scrape, scrape. I didn't look, although, I thought Kersten probably would have. Seems a waste to have that going on right underneath my nose, and not take advantage, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Ok, but the best part? When I could hear what the doctors and nurses were talking about, it was Alton Brown. And his turkey brine and mashed potatoes. I actually participated in that one. I think they talked about it for quite a while. It make me feel better to know they were so at ease with what was going on.

Since they didn't put me out, there was no recovery time, so when I was done, they just said, "well, have a happy Thanksgiving! Don't pick at the Dermabond!" And I have been in minimal pain ever since. It just feels like a cut. Which is what it is. And I am going back to work tomorrow. Yay.

So, to make a long story short................It was not bad at all. I would have taken that over a lot of what I had to go through this summer. And I will have an awesome scar. Well, maybe not if they did their jobs right...


  1. Wahoo!! Good to have it done. Glad it went so well. It might be nice to have the cool scar, I love Jake's scars!

  2. Glad to hear everything went well!

  3. The warm blankets are really the best thing about any procedure that has to be done in the hospital. I sometimes miss them. I am so so so glad everything went well with getting this done.

  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

  6. Hi Lena! How was your Thanksgiving? I'm glad everything went well and take care! ^0^/

  7. I'm glad that it went well! Port free! Sounds wonderful!!!