Wednesday, April 22, 2009

One of my own

A few months ago we found out at work that our CEO has an advanced form of lung cancer. Stage 4 carcinoma with a prognosis of 6-12 months. He has been keeping us up-to-date with his condition which included one at our meeting this morning.

He informed us that he had his first chemo treatment yesterday, that he was moving backward from what he was hoping, but that he had a positive attitude and hoped to keep working the rest of the year.

I decided I wanted to talk to him. He was going through what I will soon be going though. He was gracious enough to talk to me right after our meeting in his office. I thought this would just be another re-telling of my story and brief Q & A about what he is going through. I was wrong. I didn't get two words out before I started to cry. I have not cried about this so far and I don't know what exactly triggered it, but I was in tears for most of our talk. He was great and let me get out what I needed and talked to me about everything. He is also LDS, so he shared some points there as well.

It was so great to talk to him. He is in his sixties (I think) and has a different form of cancer as me, but he is going through it now. Like me. Thanks, Curt, for letting me cry in your office for a little while, and for being so open about your situation. It really helped.

7 comments:

  1. Curt is a great man. I am glad you got to talk to him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah muffin, I'm glad you finally got the opportunity to cry. Crying is always good! How wonderful that there are people willing to tell their stories, I hope your tears brought positive hopefulness about your situation because you're going to be just fine!! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm glad that you could talk to him! I have the phone number of a girl who actually had hodgkin's lymphoma and did chemo/radiation, let me know if you want the number!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you have someone who is going through something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lena! How I've missed you so. I had no idea and I'm sorry I haven't talked to sooner. How are you doing? I love you and pray for you every day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lena! I'm glad you could cry. This is most important thing, or you would get stressed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It probably felt good to talk with someone going through it right now. I think it is cool you have the same oncologist. Such a small world. Love ya girl

    ReplyDelete