Saturday, April 25, 2009

So, where was I?

Ok, so starting at the end of the second bullet:

* I can return to work after the PET/CT and EKG. I hope. They don't have to put me out, so that is good. Then Thursday is the Bone Marrow Biopsy. I have to be put out for this, so its another day off. Also, I can't exercise for 2 days before the PET scan. It uses sugar build up to trace where tumors might be, and exercise builds up sugar in places that could be deceiving. This is not a really big deal, I am not an exercise nut, but I have been trying to go on short walks to work up to the 5K. And with no exercise Sunday and Monday, then being put put Monday and Thursday, I think my week just may be walk-free. Bummer. Then there is just one week till the 5K.

* Speaking of the 5K: my doctor wanted to start my chemo on the 8th of May. For just a second I thought that would be fine. Then it clicked. That is the day before the race, and I would most likely be sick still that day. I don't want that. I want to be in the race! So I told him I needed to reschedule. So now my official first day of Chemo is Monday May 11th. I hope they have all the rest of this stuff figured out before that.

* I also get to attend a Chemo Class before then. Nik is coming with me, but it is not until closer to my treatment. I think it will be good and bad. It will answer a lot of questions, but I am willing to bet it freaks me out at the same time.

* The type of chemo I am scheduled to have (and will if they stick to the Hodgkin's diagnosis) is called ABVD. It stands for the 4 drugs I will be given. I have them written down, but I can't remember them now. I was told last night that I should call my insurance and make sure the cover all of those drugs. And find out how they cover them as well. I guess some could be considered out-patient, and some in-patient. One more thing to add to the list.

Ok, I guess I am done again for a little while. I will add more as I think of it.

5 comments:

  1. I never even thought that insurance wouldn't cover any of your drugs! Let us know what you find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The class reminds me of going to the birthing class. Let's put a bunch of first time pregnant women in a room, show them everything that could go wrong with graphic pictures and movies, then assure them that it is rare... That's a great tactic. It will probably be just what you said, informative, but a little scary. The thing to remember is they are not TRYING to scare you, it just is so easy to do! Having Nik there will be a big help to keep things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ABVD drugs are:
    Adriamycin
    Bleomycin
    Vinblastine
    Dacarbazine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you have a lot on your plate for the next while. As always, let me know if you need anything. My first benevolent act will be to cancel Activity Days until at least 2 weeks after your first round of chemo ;) Okay, so I'd already done that, but I'll bet that is a load off your mind :) And if you aren't up to making it to our next activity, I totally understand. I still prefer you as my assistant to someone who wouldn't appreciate my sometimes dark sarcasm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds pretty overwhelming! thanks for keeping us updated. :)

    ReplyDelete